Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Quick or right?

Romans 8:28 - And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.

Probably one of the MOST quoted scriptures, right? I've been quoting this scripture so much over the last few months. Today, I was reading the word while I was waiting in line to pick up Rachel from school. I was really focused on Psalm 91. While I was reading, a few pieces of paper fell out of my bible. I picked them up and found that two of the papers were filled with things that I was grateful for all the way back to 1999. I wrote in 1999, 2001, 2006 on this random sheet of paper. In every single entry I wrote about how I am so grateful for our health and my perfect marriage. I started thinking about how God is so faithful and how it truly is all about perspective. 


Someone might look at my situation and think I don't have a good marriage right now or how could I be thankful for my health after last year. But you know what? God is still God! I am still thankful for my health and so very thankful for my marriage. I still have one of the greatest marriages I know of and I am cancer free! The last sheet of paper that fell from my bible was a bunch of things that I used to speak out every single day and don't know why I stopped but will definitely start doing this again. I'll share what those things are at the end of this post.


The word says that there is life AND death in the power of the tongue. Our words have POWER. I have been speaking out every day all the things God's word says about me and about my husband. Everything I wish he would be, I am speaking that out. Rather than focus on everything the enemy would have me focus on, I am focusing on the fact that he is a child of the most high God! Trying so hard to treat him in love. Sunday night, Deryl got super, super sick. He had some kind of 24 hour bug. He was asleep and I just started rubbing his head and silently speaking things over him. I just thanked God for him. I thanked God that Deryl is a good man, a godly man, the perfect husband and father, that he loves God with all his heart and desires to serve God and God alone, etc. After this, I just said to God..."God heal my marriage, please let this come to pass soon". Clear as day I heard God say..."Do you want this done quick or do you want this done right?". 


Wow, this is what we really always want, right? When we get hurt physically we want it to go away! Who wants to be in pain?! It was kind of a hard pill to swallow because I realized that this just isn't something that is going to go away over night. But I am not going to focus on that. I am choosing to focus on the fact that God is doing something awesome in my life. God is going to make sure this is done right! How awesome is that? It truly is ALL about perspective. I don't want a band-aid on my marriage. I want God's complete restoration so we can take that journey and share it with others. I wish I could have just taken a pill and got through my cancer journey but then I wouldn't have the awesome, incredible story that I have!



So I ask you about your own situation that you might be walking in right now...do you want a band-aid? Do you want a quick fix? OR do you want it done right, fully restored, fully changed GOD's way? 

Here is the list of things I had written down to speak over my life every day. Feel free to use or add to or just use as a starter of ideas for your own list.

  • Father, I'm excited about today. This is a day YOU have made; I'm going to rejoice and be glad in it. God I know you reward those who seek you so I thank you in advance for your blessings, favor, and victory in my life today.
  • I refuse to go backward. I am going forward with God in Jesus name. I'm going to be the person HE wants me to be. I AM going to fulfill my destiny.
  • Greater is He who is in me than he who is in the world.
  • NO weapon formed against me is going to prosper.
  • Everything I touch prospers & succeeds.
  • God, I know you are making something good out of all of this. I know you are a GOOD god and you have my best interest at heart. YOU promised in your word that ALL things work together for my good! God, I may not understand this, but I know YOU are in control. YOU said YOU would take this evil and turn it around & use it to my advantage. So Father, I thank you that you are going to bring us through this!
  • Your word promises you'll do MORE than I can ask or think.
  • We've done everything we know to do so according to your word I am going to keep standing firm.
  • I know at the perfect time, you are going to make things happen.

1 comment:

  1. This is a beautiful post! I will definitely put this "list" into place in my own daily walk with God! Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete