Tuesday, May 31, 2011

What's it like to be _________?

Since moving to Georgia, I have a lot more time on my hands. I have been completely aware of something that has been missing in my life and that is peace. Not just any peace but the peace that isn't like the world gives....but peace according to God's word....peace that passes ALL understanding. So I started downloading sermon podcasts. Wow, it has really helped me tremendously. I literally cannot go a day without listening to some kind of teaching. I feel like it is food for my soul. And I have been a complete sponge soaking it all in. Which really reveals to me how dry I have been. 


Last week, I listened to a sermon and the lady said to ask yourself the question "What is it like to be married to me?" My first thought was why in the world would I ever ask myself such a question. Just kidding! But seriously, I thought to myself how many different ways I could ask myself that question. It could really be a fill in the blank question.

  • What is it like to be MY friend?
  • What is it like to be MY child?
  • What is it like to be MY boss?
  • What is it like to be MY parent?
  • What is it like to be MY co-worker?
  • What is it like to be MY sibling?
When I asked myself these questions, it was truly a humbling experience. Being honest with myself regarding each one wasn't pretty. And it still isn't. But I have been asking God to search my heart and show me what I need to work on. I guess this shows that he was just being faithful. And I love that! I want to be better at all of these things. Sometimes it isn't easy searching within. Isn't it so much easier to look at everyone else and their flaws? Especially when you look at people whose lives are really a mess. Then we can say "Well, I am a lot better than that!" Not really. The more we look at "others" and use their mistakes and flaws to make ours seem better only reveal the wickedness in our own hearts. 


I believe God will be faithful if we just finally come clean. If we would just ask God to search US. If we would stop pointing fingers at others and point them all back at ourselves. I have discovered in my own life that EVERY single thing I have judged someone else for has turned around and happened to me in my own life!! This is not fun. And I know God wants more for me and for you as well. Are you up for the challenge to ask God to search your OWN heart and reveal to you what YOU need to work on? I hope your answer is a BIG FAT YES!! But if it isn't, start small and just ask God to reveal to you why your answer is a no. I know this is no easy task. I know that it is scary. But I also know God is faithful and he only wants what is best for us. The things in life with the greatest rewards will always cost us something. Only it is never money.

No comments:

Post a Comment