Friday, November 29, 2013

When "Home for the Holidays" isn't an option

Christmas 2013 my husband and I would have been together for twenty years. Yesterday was the first Thanksgiving I have EVER spent without my family. No mom, no dad, no kids, no spouse and no siblings or family whatsoever.

Every Thanksgiving and every Christmas Day, we would all go see a movie. Well, I ended up being without my blood relatives, didn't go see a movie, didn't decorate for Christmas, have not listened to one Christmas song and I did not cook one single thing yesterday. Was it strange? Well....sorta. After all was said and done, I realized that I have raised my children well, I have a couple of my closest friends here in Georgia, and I am creating new traditions. One thing I have always told my girls is that when they are older, they will create their OWN traditions. So many families get it all screwed up and try to carry on someone else's traditions when they get married instead of creating new ones with their new little family. That is where "family" becomes a nuisance and then you find yourself stressing every single holiday rather than enjoying them. I'd rather my children just spend the holidays with their father or in-laws to keep the peace and spend it with me at a different designated time than to just "endure and dread" the holidays.

Life is just funny. It just cannot be predicted. So, you just do the best you can with what you have and hope for the best. I am looking forward to what God has in store for me. I know he has wonderful great NEW beginnings for me AND for my family and friends. I know that HE has an awesome plan for my life and I am excited to see what my future holds.

I hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving and enjoyed whatever traditions you enjoy each and every year. And can you EVEN believe that Christmas is only a little over 25 days away?!?!?!?!?

No comments:

Post a Comment