Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Don't Let Cancer Steal Second Base!

Deryl says......... Overall it was a good week. I finally felt like I could focus all day at work. There were many moments spent without thinking about cancer. Which was great after last weekend. Kelley and I were both bummed out. I think getting a call from the doctor on a Saturday freaked us out. It was hard not to assume the worst. It had been less than 24 hours since she had the MRI and the doctor called and said the results were back. We were nervous as can be when we called the doctor back. I tried hard to keep a brave face on for Kelley. I am not sure if I succeeded or not. Once we found out it was good news you would think we would celebrate. But I think the realization that one moment could change our lives forever and that none of it is in our hands really bummed us out. But when you really think about it life is always that way. There is always a moment that could change your life forever.

We skipped church Sunday morning just so we wouldn't have to talk about cancer again and again. Neither one of us were in an emotional state where we could handle it that day. But Monday came around and I felt better and so did Kelley. She still had a few moments during the week but there were very few compared to before. This past Saturday I took the girls out for a little retail therapy. It is amazing how shopping can take a girls mind off of almost any problem. Kelley said it was the first time since she was diagnosed where she did not think about cancer once for almost 5 or 6 hours straight. Yes I shopped with them for almost 6 hours. And after that they dropped me off at home and went shopping some more. That is one thing cancer is not going to stop my wife from doing. I was just happy to see her smile and be normal for so long. It was worth every penny.

My biggest concern at the moment is that Kelley had a really rough day today emotionally and I have to go out of town tomorrow. I am torn. I want to stay because I want to be there for my wife. But I want to go because I just signed up our biggest client to date and I need to get them going. I have a feeling we are going to need a lot of commissions to pay for medical bills. Plus I think it comforts Kelley to know that I am making progress at my job. And I know she is concerned about what kind of impact this is going to have on our finances. I try to encourage her about it and most of the time she is fine. But it is one of those stressful thoughts that can hit her at a unexpected moment. So please keep praying for her.

I wanted to end on a positive note. I came across some t-shirts and bumper stickers that raise money and awareness for breast cancer that were quite funny. So I thought I would list a few:

  • Remember kids......Cancer Sucks
  • I Made Cancer My B#@ch
  • Save the Ta Tas
  • My Ta Tas Have Fallen and They Can't Get Up
  • Save a Life Grope Your Wife
  • If Lovin' Ta Tas is Wrong I Don't Want to be Right
And my personal favorite is:

DON'T LET CANCER STEAL SECOND BASE!

No comments:

Post a Comment