Friday, May 7, 2010

Genetic Test Results

Kelley says.............

WOO HOO!!!! The BRCA1 and the BRCA2 genetic test came back NEGATIVE!!!! So, every single test now has came back with the results I was hoping for! Praise God and thank you immensely for all your prayers. I am feeling very weird right now. If this test had come back positive then I would have known without a shadow of a doubt which surgery to have done. But now, I have to make a very, very tough choice.

If you have not been through this personally or have not known someone personally who has gone through this you can't even begin to imagine the questions that run through my mind trying to make this kind of choice. Right now, I am leaning towards having the lumpectomy. I meet with the surgeon again on May 13th and I will be discussing with her the recurrence rates on both surgeries so I can make my final decision. She has been SO awesome and I am so glad God put this doctor in my life. She has not rushed me AT ALL to make a decision and for that I am very grateful. I have had almost a month now to have all these tests done, to pray, to have others pray and to wait on God for direction.

Of course, I could have the lumpectomy and then if they get in there and it has spread, I will end up having to have a mastectomy anyway. Oh my goodness, could this be anymore complicated?! But today, I am grateful that God is hearing our prayers. I am SUPER grateful that my daughters, my sister and my nieces will now know their chances of getting breast cancer has not increased! I would have felt awful for all of them if the genetics test would have been positive. Had it been positive, they would have had a 50-65% chance of getting it. So, thank you Lord, thank you Lord!!!!!


Please continue to pray that I will ultimately make the right choice for ME and that no one will judge my decision whatever that ends up being.

This is the scripture I am standing on. Proverbs 16:9 "We can make our plans, but the LORD determines our steps"

1 comment:

  1. Oh sweetie! You should not be judged by anyone on this planet for what your choices are. This is between you and God and your family! I am rejoicing with you today that the test were negative and I will pray that God will speak to you so that you have a clear path to follow on this journey you are on. I sit here and think what choice would I make, but until you are in that situation, I don't we could truly make that choice.

    ReplyDelete